For the last fourteen years, I have been straightening my hair ane manner or another.

My pilus is naturally extremely curly and frizzy. My father is of Mauritian descent, which is a small isle country off the coast of Madagascar. So you lot can sympathise that straightening hair that longs to exist wild and big, was never going to be an piece of cake task.

It's been bloody torture.

I bought my showtime straightener when I was 12 and going through my 'Paris Hilton' phase, as my sister calls information technology. I was obsessed with The Uncomplicated Life and had just discovered beauty. And showers.

Since and then, the corporeality of hours I accept spent in the bath, belongings my arms upward and twisting awkwardly to achieve all the spots (which never happened, FYI), probably amounts to how much time I spent at Uni. I have a Bachelor'due south degree, for reference.

I fried my hair on the daily. I – at the time – felt more beautiful with straight hair. Hair that allowed me to blend in with the crowd and not stand out in any way whatsoever.

So when it came time for me to proceed an eight-week beach holiday with other volunteers, I knew in that location was no fashion I was going to tend to my hair every day.

I wanted to be present. Confident. I wanted to know what it'd exist similar to wake upward, gyre out of bed, brush your hair and become. (I often wonder if those with straight hair realise how lucky they are to be able to exercise this? And not bargain with knots that at times need to be cutting out of your hair?)

I very briefly 'researched' hair straightening and flew from Melbourne to Sydney for the treatment, (then at this betoken, we're already at $600 for the bloody straightening, without aftercare prods) because the best identify to get it washed is in Drummoyne, hands downwards. (I've had 3 permanent straightenings, I've washed the groundwork!)

After the seven hours to do the permanent straightening and obligatory few days where I could not wash my hair (or tie it up, or sweat), I took a shower, stepped out and… OHMYGOD it was the near gorgeous thing. I let it AIR Dry out and was on my fashion. I was in heaven. It was a miracle. Could not believe how easy it was to manage.